The holiday season is upon us. This time of year can be particularly difficult for those who are grieving the death of a loved one, and can revive or intensify one’s grief even after many years have passed. Here are my top ten tips for coping with grief during the holiday season:
1. Spend time with family and friends.
2. Spend some “alone time” to reflect.
3. Light a candle in your loved one’s honor.
4. Volunteer your time to help others, with the intention that your are giving in honor of
your loved one.
5. Tell stories about the life of your loved one.
6. Write a letter to your loved one.
7. Express your feelings through journaling or art.
8. Make a donation to your loved one’s favorite charity or group.
9. Have a party for the deceased with people who loved him or her, play his or her
favorite music and prepare his or her favorite foods.
10. Take care of yourself — buy yourself flowers, take a trip out of town, get a massage,
read a book, take a walk, and have a date with yourself.